COVID-19 has paved the way for a cashless society.
- At least 2150 ATMs across Australia have been removed
- ANZ, Commonwealth, NAB and Westpac have closed a combined 175 branches in the last 12 months
- ATM numbers at their lowest level in 12 years at 25,720
- 2.5 million elderly Australians who don’t do online banking are affected
- Most ATM closures were in metropolitan areas like shopping centres
- ANZ struck a deal to sell 1,300 off-branch ATM to Armaguard Group in the next 12 months
- Australia’s banks have invested heavily to keep up with the customers banking preferences with technology and data now playing a key role in how banks do their business’ says Australian Banking Association’s chief executive officer Anna Bligh
War on cash
Besides affecting the elderly (of which the banks see as only a temporary problem), a cashless society is not a good idea in a number of ways.
- Electronic banking is hackable; digital money is not physical and harder to protect
- Because digital money is intangible, it becomes changeable and can be deleted
- Digital money is traceable to your identity and movements, breaching your privacy
- Digital money is exclusionary; homeless people, those who live off the grid and people within third world countries (or poor living conditions) will fall by the wayside
- Cashless society will justify intrusive and pervasive surveillance laws
- Your electronic banking data will create a digital fingerprint to identify your spending habits, your transactions, your location and movements and accessible by authorities and their discretion
- Cutting off of finances may be used by authorities as a form as subjugation, coercion or punishment for dissidence, rulebreakers or protestors
- It’ll set a precedent to digitise other things like driver’s licenses, passports, medical histories, forcing out hardcopies of your personal information that is accessible beyond your control
- These other digitisations will then be consolidated into one single digital profile of you, again accessible beyond your consent or control
- All those who don’t agree to this system is effectively cut off from society with nowhere to go
The Bible warns you
The book of Revelation says that in the end times, the Antichrist will force everyone to take a mark in their hand or forehead. Nobody will be able to buy or sell without this mark. The technology to accomplish such a thing has not existed until recent years, let alone two thousand odd years ago when the apostle John recorded his prophetic visions in the final book of the Bible.
16 He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, 17 and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. 18 Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666.
You’ve been warned.